Thursday, November 19, 2009

Six-Year-Olds Are Pretty Smart


Yesterday after we picked Chelsey up from school, the kids were sitting at the table having a snack. Emily and Chelsey were arguing back and forth about something or other and I was having good luck at tuning it out until the "uh-uh," "uh-HUH," "Uh-UH, "UH-HUH!" started. I've been praying for more patience lately, and had a little thought: "Hey, girls...HEY, GIRLS!" (Yelling always gets the yelling stopped, right? Ha.) I asked the girls to say something nice to each other instead of fighting. Chelsey immediately said, "Emily, will you please stop saying that?" Nice, but not what I had in mind. I explained to her that I would like her to say something like, "Emily, I like it when you ----" or "I like your ----" or "My favorite thing about you is ----."

She immediately responded, "Emily, I like it when you stop saying that!"

Not what I imagined, but it's a start. It's a start.